The National School Tree Planting Competition is open to Jamaican Early Childhood, Primary and Secondary institutions as well as students attending a tertiary institution.
- Students, under the supervision of a teacher or administrator, are invited to complete the application form hosted on the Forestry Department website (https://www.forestry.gov.jm/national-school-tree-planting)
- Only one entry is allowed per institution/tertiary student
- Participating schools and tertiary students must secure, germinate and/or propagate fruit and/or ornamental tree seedlings for planting in suitable locations on their school grounds or surrounding areas during the competition period.
- The seedlings must be properly maintained by the students with a detailed log of trees germinated, planted and maintained
- Trees planted and maintained must be submitted to the Forestry Department via the 876trees mobile app (Forestry Department’s Tree Tracker mobile application) to be counted at the end of the competition.
- The 876Trees app can be downloaded for free from the Google Play or Apple App stores.
- All sites may be visited by Forestry Department personnel to confirm trees reported as propagated and planted.
Award of Prizes
The institutions/ Tertiary student that has propagated and planted the most fruit and ornamental trees will be named as the winner of their respective category. Only trees propagated and planted between September 5, 2022 and February 28, 2023, the close of the competition, will be eligible for consideration for prizes.
Most Trees Planted (Per Category)
- 1st Place - $300,000*
- 2nd Place - $150,000*
- 3rd Place - $75,000*
Most Innovative School - $100,000* per category
This cash award will recognize innovation used by schools in germinating, planting and maintaining the tree seedlings.
Most Outstanding student- $50,000* per category
This award will be presented to the most outstanding student from the winning school per category. The nominees are to be submitted by the schools at the end of the competition period and will reward the student who went above and beyond in executing the required activities at the school.
Most Outstanding teacher- $50,000* per category
The supervising teacher of the first-place schools by category will receive a cash award in recognition of his/her efforts to coordinate and execute the competition at the school.
Most Outstanding Student of Agricultural Institution - $50,000*
The most outstanding student of an agricultural learning institution will receive a cash award.
The official award ceremony will be held on International Day of Forests, Tuesday, March 21, 2023.