Salary Range: $1,066,362.00 - $1,320,593.00 per annum, plus applicable allowances
Under the direct supervision of the Manager, Forest Resource Information Management, the Forest Technician (GIS) will assist with and provide technical support to field officers involved in the implementation and monitoring of forest management activities. This position will also include providing technical assistance for users of ArcGIS Mobile and Terrasync platforms on commercial and professional grade GPS units across Forestry Department regions. In addition, he/she will assist with data collection and verification efforts, GIS database maintenance, map production as well as public awareness and education initiatives.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Utilizes in-house Geographic Information System (GIS) software and hardware to digitize and enter data.
- Performs standard level professional work compiling, verifying, maintaining hardcopy dta/maps and inputting & updating information into multiple GIS databases.
- Scans georeferences and digitizes information and creates, maintains, updates queries GIS data to provide easier access and retrieval of processed information on multiple databases to support valid statistical analysis.
- Creates accurate grid references utilizing appropriate GIS software, coordinate geometry and graphics to correspond with the information and/or design drawing, legal surveys, maps and addresses needed to update information for infrastructure mapping.
- Compares field and office mapping to resolve incongruous information issues, and utilize Global Positioning System (GPS) or wireless GIS systems to collect or verify the accuracy of the GIS data.
- Creates and updates various map types using planimetric and thematic mapping techniques and aerial and satellite data
- Performs quality assurance on GIS data and processes.
- Maintain data and map request log
- Prepare reports as required
The post-holder will be able to demonstrate:
- Ability to read and interpret plans, drawings, maps, surveys and other technical documents and drawings
- Ability to work independently with general supervision and direction.
- Experience with both scanning/on-screen and tablet digitizing.
- Knowledge of rectification techniques.
- Experience working with vegetation and/or wildlife datasets and must be physically fit to navigate remote forest terrains
- Knowledge of GIS analysis and map preparation
- Knowledge of GIS data upload/download
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to build partnership in achieving operational goals
- Ability to work under time constraints and deadlines
- Ability to work cooperatively with other employees
- Ability to accomplish complex project tasks in cooperation with other employees
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Diploma in GIS or closely related fields
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a GIS-related position
- Knowledge and proficiency to utilize ESRI’s ArcInfo and ArcView software products
- Competent in data collection, the use of GPS technology and the integration with GIS software
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating systems and MS Office software suite.
- Having knowledge of remote sensing and natural resource/forest management would be an asset.
- Any other acceptable combination of academic qualification and field experience
Applications along with résumés should be submitted no later than Friday, December 8, 2017 to:
Director, Human Resource Management & Development,
173 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 8
We thank all persons who express an interest; however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.