Salary Range: $1,066,362.00 - $1,320,593.00 per annum, plus applicable allowances
Under the direct supervision of the Silviculture Manager, the Forest Technician will conduct field assessments of sites in (public and private) forests island-wide.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AREAS:
- Conducts measurements of trees at all stages of growth and the compilation and basic analysis of the collected data.
- Carries out assessment of compliance with documented standards of forest plantation establishment and silviculture maintenance (i.e. weeding, pruning, etc.).
- Assists in activities concerning the collection and storage of forest tree seeds, including the monitoring of fruit reaping sites (or Seed Stands).
- Assists with the drafting/ documentation of Silviculture Plans
- Delivers presentations (PowerPoint) of specific work done and findings
- Physically fitness to carry out hiking activities for moderate to long distances and off the beaten track
- Experience with ground navigational skills by maps and/or the use of hand-held GPS equipment
- Understanding of basic botanical principles, particularly in regards to tree structure, reproduction, and taxonomy
- Working knowledge of spreadsheet database (e.g. MS-XL) functions
- Ability to work and communicate productively and safely in remote locations.
- Safety consciousness
- Demonstrable ability to work independently, and as part of a team
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to work with an eye for detail
- Ability to work extended hours when necessary
• Associate Degree in Forestry, Agriculture, Natural Science, Environmental Management or related area
- Any other acceptable combination of qualification and experience
Applications along with résumés should be submitted no later than Friday, December 8, 2017 to:
Director, Human Resource Management & Development,
173 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 8
We thank all persons who express an interest; however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.